Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking
mm mm is offline

Default It wont stay shut by itself

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 14:22:03 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Methinks that if OP can't figure a painless way to rig the front door to
not lock him out every time it closes (like a snippet of duct tape over
the the bolt),

Better than duct tape over the bolt (the triangular, wedge-like bolt,
I think you mean) is a paper wad stuck in the hole. It leaves no
residue and isn't visible if a burglar walks by when you take the car
for a test drive and leave the house unlocked.

The Watergate burglars used duct tape to keep one of the doors to the
hall open. The first time the guard walked by, he thought someone did
it during work hours, and removed it. The burglars replaced the
tape!!! **

The second time the guard walked by, he saw the tape and called the
police.

If I had been running the burglary, they wouldn't have been caught.

**I don't know why since I thought they were done coming and going by
then, and I thought all were inside. (Coming and going should be kept
at a minimum during a burglary.)

he'd best not be doing any work on the brakes on his
motorcar. Dunno about UK and Chubb or whoever, but door latch makers
here in the states always put a little tab or button to disable the
auto-lock feature when needed.