Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Retrofitting interior doors - pre-hung?

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:00:34 -0700 (PDT), Test group SBA
wrote:

I'm going to replace all 6 of my interior doors. I've replaced a door
once, and bought just a door (i.e. not pre-hung). It came out okay -
but just okay. I'm thinking that to do 6 doors I'd be better off
getting pre-hung. I'm not crazy about replacing casings for 6 doors,
but I also think my chances of getting all 6 to fit and close properly
aren't good. (I'm a decent carpenter but not a professional.) What's
the collective wisdom on this?

Never forget to pull the nail from the jamb that holds the door in
place (LOL) for shipping. Some doors have a nylon bolt that is removed
from the door knob opening after install. Those are easy and can be
done after the door is installed. Forget that nail and you need to
pull the jamb out for another try. Once that nail is pulled things can
twist around, you can damage the jamb.

I prefer to have a helper on one side of the door and can tell me if
the things are "looking good". The helper can shim and check level /
square / plumb as you check the other side. Use long levels.

I've installed doors in a matter of minutes (hanging) and others that
caused a fit to get right.