Posted to alt.home.repair

Default K & T wiring

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 18:37:10 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jun 5, 3:53?pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 06/05/2010 03:45 PM, wrote:

On Jun 5, 11:08 am, Nate ?wrote:
On 06/05/2010 09:23 AM, wrote:

On Jun 4, 10:42
That said, I'd still feel way safer in, say, an 80's Mercedes-Benz or
Porsche than I would in a new tin can. There's a big difference in
quality...

nate

did you see the planned crash of a 60 bel air, and a 2009 malibu.

It was a '59, and yes. What a waste, I've driven cars that looked worse
than the one they destroyed.

the malibu driver would of walked away the old belair driver would of
died several times over. building new vehiclews to crush and absorb
the impact is really great engineering

Sure, but a car only ten years newer would have had three point belts, a
collapsible steering column, dual circuit brakes, side marker lights,
etc. etc. etc... and a '69 is way on the thin end of the bell curve as
far as cars that are likely to still be used as daily drivers today. A
'79, still on the thin end of the bell curve, would have side impact
door beams in addition to all the other stuff.

My personal vehicles are a '55, and '88, and a '93 and I don't feel
particularly unsafe in any of them, although the '55 does require a
certain amount of respect. Proper maintenance and repair at the first
sign of trouble is far more important than worrying about safety
features that God willing will never be used. Likewise, I'd consider
good tires, good shocks/struts, and properly maintained base brakes to
be more fundamental to safety than ABS or ESC, although a lot of people
seem not to think of that.

remember any K&T install today is likely over a 100 years old. so it
missed all the advances along the way......

I'm not arguing the point that the best way to deal with K&T is to
replace it at the first sign of trouble. I'm just saying that buying a
"new car for increased safety" is likely a bad deal, unless you're
*planning* on wrecking.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Well a new car tends to be safer more conveient and more reliable.

I have not found this to be the case. ?If anything, when something goes
wrong with an older car I usually know exactly what it is, how to fix
it, and have the tools to do the job right. ?Not so much with a newer car.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

You ever tried getting parts for a 50 or 100 year old car?

Model-T parts are easy to come by. Originals aren't so easy but parts for
them are still being made.