Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Unknown Turntable belt size - how to determine?

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 6/5/2010 3:42 AM Franc Zabkar spake thus:

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 11:15:28 +0100, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote in message

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:38:53 -0700, David Nebenzahl
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Instead of string, which does stretch, you might try a strip of paper.

Which reminds me of an old turntable I used to have. As a kid
in Tucson, not quite 20, I found a used turntable in a junk
shop there. Cheap, because it had no belt. Took it home, and
being the resourceful lad I was, I made a belt out of paper,
the ends glued together with white glue. Worked great! No
problems with wow & flutter or rumble. The paper belts lasted
maybe a month or so before breaking. The bulb-shaped motor
pulley kept the belt tracking true.

I've heard that you can use a nylon stocking as a replacement fan belt

I'd like to know if they make good anti-tank weapons. Knowing they
are the bane of the life of drott and dozer drivers operating on
council landfill dumps. Getting into the track drive they stall the
engine. I imagine masses of tights and stockings fired into tank
caterpillar drives would do the same.

I reckon soldiers in tights and stockings would stop a tank commander
in his tracks.

Complete with whips, gags and handcuffs ...

Not even on 'Casual Fridays' in the US military. OTOH, they did sell
men's pantyhose with a fly at the PX at the US Army cold weather
research center and at least at Fort Wainwright (which is near
Fairbanks) if not at every cold weather base. They were available in
either cotton or nylon. They were very heavy material, and made to wear
under your thermal underwear to prevent its seams from wearing through
your skin. They were also sold to mailmen to wear with their uniform
shorts. This was in the early '70s and they were expensive. It doesn't
take long to decide between wearing them or getting frostbite when it is
below -40 most of the winter.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.