Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wire size

Fuses are rated in times it takes to blow.
Slo-blow are just one.

Some are super fast. Those are normally in the micro-to-milli amp specs.

Circuit breakers are the same - some are rated for special loads.
An oven is a nice resistive load. An air conditioner is highly inductive.
Starting load on some motors require longer high current time. Naturally,
if a start winding cap is bad, more current is needed in the run winding...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/3/2010 11:34 PM, Josepi wrote:
Even breakers and fuses take an overload on a time basis.

I have put more than double the current through fuses and they hold for
60-120 seconds. Too many electrical geniuses that have no experience or just
trolls...take your pick...LOL

wrote in message
What's YOUR point? In yopur last post you said that's not how motors
are rated and horsepower measured. Quote "Ok, but that's not the way
motors are rated or HP is calculated"

I just said it is, and you agreed with me except on the "specialty"
rating of some motors - which ARE rated as I said. A motor CAN have 2
ratings - a constant (average) HP rating and a peak (cyclic or short
duty) rating.

Also, the "real" 2HP Baldor Cap-start cap-run motor I have installed
on my compressor is rated at 20 amps at 115 volts and will start with
the unloader on a 15 amp slow-blow fuse unless it's cold out.
It is only about 65% efficient at full load, Like I said, 80% would
be a pretty good motor (I didn't say 80% was common - I was just
making the point that EVEN WITH an 80% efficient motor,1.5 or 2HP on a
115 volt 15 amp circuit would be MAXIMUM - anyone claiming higher than
that is "more than suspect".

THAT was the point I was making on the LAST post.