Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Siphon-feed spray gun won't siphon

Steve Turner wrote:
After a fair number of positive reviews in this group I decided to
pick up this spray gun a few months ago from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...ay-gun-86.html

Snip long excellent description...

No matter how I adjust any of those contraptions, no fluid is being
pulled from the cup. And yes, the pressure release air hole in the
top of the cup is open, and the shellac is sufficiently thinned for
spraying. In fact, the cup can be filled with straight denatured
alcohol and it makes no difference; no siphoning action is occurring.
I can even remove the cup and stick the siphon tube into a separate
container of denatured alcohol, and still nothing. HOWEVER, if I
remove the gun from the cup, turn it upside down and fill the siphon
tube with fluid, VIOLA - It sprays! If I disconnect the gun from the
air supply, fill the siphon tube with thinner (still upside down),
and actuate the trigger, a steady stream of thinner runs out the
nozzle and is depleted, just as I would expect. EVERYTHING is
working as I'd expect, except no siphon action is occurring; I'm
befuddled.
Any ideas?

Well - we both know what's wrong, now all we have to do is figure out what's
wrong. It's not developing suction. How about the cup seal? Hardened
maybe? Or dirty so it' prevents a good fit? There's almost got to be an
obstruction in the pickup tube I'd bet. Have you tried your brush kit
through it - even though you have good reason to believe it's not necessary?
It doesn't take much as you know, to cause problems with pickup. When
you're holding it upside down and pouring thinner in it you've completely
changed the dynamics of what happens under suction. I'd run a brush through
good. Check behind the fluid tip too - for small particulates. It only
takes a little. My first go though would be at the cup seal and at the
pickup tube with a brush.

Let us know how you make out...

--

-Mike-