Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Recent thread on solid state disk drives

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

What is the advantage of these drives over, say, a 32 GB jump drive at
$70 (this week at Office Depot)? Speed? If so, how great is that
advantage in practice?

They replace the hard drive in a computer. Someone was asking about
small hard drives for machine tools. Spinning storage with an IDE/PATA
interface is disappearing from the market. What good is a jump drive on
something with no USB port?

We have that problem at work. Our newer Mitsubishi LASER CNC control
runs on Win95. The only network option is a PCMCIA reader and LAN card
in the reader. We installed the hardware and got the control to
recognize a laptop running Win2KPro, and vice versa, but so far, we
haven't gotten drive access to allow us to transfer files back and forth.

These are a huge improvement over the old 28 pin 'M-Drive' we used to
run embedded NT in one product about 10 years ago. They are a lot
larger, too. They were $380 for a 32 MB soft drive.

If your CNC will run with one of the formats that Windows can use,
you can format the solid state drive & install the software, then just
plug it into the CNC machine. You could even make a duplicate drive to
use for troubleshooting or emergency repairs. It's cheap production
insurance at those prices.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.