Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wmbjkREMOVE@citlink.net is offline

Default Honda Going Back To Timing Chains?

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 03:50:20 -0700, Erik wrote:

Hi all,

I recently bought a used 08 Honda 'Fit' McCar, and had the dealer toss
in a set of factory shop manuals as part of the deal.

Later, looking through the manuals, I was very surprised to learn the
'Fit' doesn't use a timing belt, but instead a for real old fashion
timing chain.

Then a little while ago, I saw a post in one of the Honda groups where
someone was trying to confirm if what he'd heard about the Civics going
back to chains was true!

Even though belts have to be replaced now and again, they keep the valve
timing tack on till they're replaced (or fail), are cheap to
manufacture, and eliminate 'internally lubricated components' from
warranty coverage.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on with Honda? Advantages?
Disadvantages? Is this going to be a new trend with Honda and/or other
manufactures?

Probably for the same reason they use thin oil and roller rockers etc.
- less friction. Here's a good read on the tech that's required to get
top fuel specifics.
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/244...-201kw-rav4-v6

Wayne