Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default It wont stay shut by itself

john hamilton wrote:
When working on my car, I bring it right up close to the house and
lay my tools out on the floor behind the front door. Since you never
know when it will rain, it works out very handy since then all I have
to do is close the door; and don't have to be picking up all the
tools.
Now if its not warm the family doesn't like the cold air coming into
the house and they want the front door shut, which is fair enough.
Since the door just swings open I have to keep getting the keys out
of my pocket to open the door.

I would like the door to stay shut on its own accord, yet just open
with a push without having to use the keys. There is no room on the
door jamb to screw one of those helical spring self closers. And
anyway in general use we dont want the door to close by itself. Which
also rules out one of those hydraulic self closers which could fit on
at the top of the door.
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also tried cutting a thin wedge of cork glued to an upright
jamb which makes the door a tight fit when closed. However the door
shrinks in the summer and expands in the winter so that only works
for about half the year.
Grateful for any suggestions, especially something similar to the cork
arrangement which works just fine prividing the weather suits it.

Presumably some form of spring loaded device should work better than
the cork, allowing the door expansion and contraction to be handled auto.