Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Bedroom TV

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 23:21:06 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 6/4/2010 8:19 PM, aemeijers wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Jun 3, 8:15 am, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 07:58:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching
a 13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of
proportion is a bit much.
Go look at a 24 inch 16:9 widescreen TV and see what you think.

It's not very big at all compared to a 4:3 ratio 19 inch TV.

It's wider, but a LOT shorter vertically.
And an LCD is very thin and light; almost feels like a toy compared to
the TVs of yore.

I guess an equivalent size would be a 19" or 21" CRT and I remember
those not being particularly light. I still have an excellent Samsung
CRT monitor that I bought new back in the mid-late 90s. It'll
probably stay in my garage until I clean up and recycle it

nate
I feel your pain. I have about 6 or 7 perfectly good 17" CRT monitors
sitting in corners around here that I can't GIVE away. (Mostly
Trinitron- damn things Will Not Die.) I'm too much of a cheap SOB to
send working equipment to be demanufactured, and my long-dead EE
grandfather would haunt me if I did. All leftovers from a brief period
when it was possible to make a few bucks on the side buying used
commercial PCs in bulk, cleaning them up, and reselling them at half the
price of a new one. Moore's law bit me in the ass, and I am stuck with a
couple hundred bucks (my cost) of working PIII PCs that are essentially
worthless. One of these days I'll throw Ubuntu on the lot of them, and
put them on Freecycle, just to get rid of them. (Perfectly competent
e-mail terminals for people that can't get their kids off the 'real' PC
for five minutes.)

Have you ever tried to Linux the boxes and post them on Craigslist?

TDD

That is almost what I said- Ubuntu being a flavor of Linux, and
Freecycle being rather like CL, just with lowered expectations. (IOW,
getting it gone is more important than getting money.) I suppose I
should try CL first, and maybe the swap board at work as well.

At this point, I'd GIVE them to a good home, or only charge what they
are worth to me for parts. (Hey, an optical burner is worth
something...) Gotta keep the one with a 5.25 floppy drive in it, though-
still got a file drawer full of those, most of which are probably still
readable.

I really need a SWMBO to nag my sorry ass into actually finishing any of
the projects I start- it has gotten rather out of control.

All you need to do is move. It's a lot cheaper than a SWMBO and they'll make
you do it anyway.

Nope. I still have crates from 2 moves ago that haven't been opened.
Some of them are the parts from my former freelance used-PC endeavors.
Not to mention the crates full of paperbacks that I will never read
again, that nobody else on earth wants, that I still can't bear to recycle.

--
aem sends...