Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Auto Body metal working

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 21:19:01 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:40:56 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

One thing I'm wanting to find out about is feathering paint. For example,
if I have a spot to repair, I would sand down the spot and feather the
edges
to the good paint surface. Then in spraying first coat on the spot, 2nd
coat covers a little larger area, and the 3rd coat covers a larger area
still. Then after that I guess you use rubbing compound to smooth it all
out? If I understand this correctly you are applying the most paint where
it's been sanded down the most and getting the new spray thinner as the
original paint is thicker (sanded less). If I were capable of doing this
perfect the paint would be the same thickness in the touch up area as the
factory paint is in other parts of the body.

RogerN

Much simpler to just use a fast-build primer - feather that, and paint
the whole panel (door)

What about for just a paint chip area (front of hood perhaps)? Would it be
better to repaint the whole hood for a few chips or sand, paint, and
compound?

RogerN

If you want the repair to "disappear" do the whole hood. Most paints
today are spec'ed as whole panel, and don't blend well.
Sand the whole hood through the clear-cote to colour, clean out the
chips, acid treat them, fill them, feather them, and repaint the whole
hood.