Posted to sci.electronics.repair
circuit circuit is offline

Default Replacement parts?

Pretty common problem...manufacturers leave stuff on the shelf and never
reduce costs of spare parts even if you can purchase a new unit with more
features for less cost of the spare part. The only company I ever saw who
did differently was SONY on a 27 Inch trinitron CRT (Circa 1982) - which
they reduced the cost down to $40.00 Retail plus shipping. I dont know if
that was an experiment they discontinued, or if they knew those CRT's were
problematic with a short lifespan. If you have a part number, post it here.
You can also try www.parts-link.com , posting it as a wanted part.

"root" wrote in message
I have a Panasonice DMR-EZ28 recorder whose
optical drive failed. You can buy one
new for about $225. I called Panasonic to
check on the price for the drive: $135+$15
shipping=$150. So I went online to find
an alternate source: I found two places.
Parts something or other had one at $340
and MCM had one at $450. I used to buy
from MCM when VCRs were worth repairing.
Now?