Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Tapcon screws & concrete block?

On Jun 4, 5:39*pm, Larry Fishel wrote:
On Jun 4, 3:45*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

If you make the vert. 2x4s as long as possible, and let the bottom rest on
the floor...

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that the 2x4s should at least rest on
the floor so that they are taking the weight and not the anchors. I
would at least put one anchor at the top and one at the bottom so
there's no chance of the the 2x4s shifting and leaving the weight on
the anchors.

Personally, I prefer to build self-supporting units so I can put them
wherever I want, but that's substantially more work to make them
stable.

Self-supporting shelves that are attached to the wall for safety or
stability purposes are much better than something built in that
requires structural support for each shelf via additional fasteners...

~~ Evan