Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default The Hurricane list is out - how do you prepare for one outsidethe "zone?"

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
m...

... Until that day, tornadoes were something that happened to
Dorothy in movies and people in the midwest and the devastation was about a
TV screen's worth. It just did not compute until I saw it for myself.

Indeed, that's generally true and in my observation while living in VA
and TN is far more so for those east of Mississippi and not on the
coasts where really severe weather isn't so common or generally _quite_
as severe. City dwellers also generally are more protected from the
consequences other than the rare direct hit than are more rural areas w/
fewer services, etc., also, I think contributes to the problem.

I don't know the record for storm-carried objects, ...

I've no idea about "records" either, as I don't think there is any such
thing other than anecdotal evidence generally collected as anything
except novelty (as opposed to an actual study of same except as done by
NOAA/NWS for classification purposes).

But, my latest relatively local (100 mi) example of the incredible is
the Greensburg (KS) EF5 that obliterated 90+% of the town. It left a JD
9600-series combine over ten miles from its starting point in the
dealer's lot on the west edge of town.

MANUFACTURER MODEL
John Deere 9670 STS
Headers
Platforms 25 ft, 30 ft, 35 ft, 40 ft
Row-Crop Heads ---
Corn Heads 12 Narrow, 8 Wide
Engine
Type John Deere 6 cyl. 9.0 L
Displacement 548 cu. in. (9.0 L)
Horsepower 305
Horsepower with Power Boost 338
Grain Handling
Grain Tank Size 250 bu. or 300 bu. optional
Unloading Auger Length 21.5, 22.5 or 26-ft ...
Capacities
Fuel Capacity 250 gal.
Transport Height (in the field position) 14-ft. 10-in.
Base Weight-Less Head
Grain ---
Corn 32,661 lb. (14815 kg)