Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Lint filter for washing machine drain

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:

2 door wrote:

-snip-

I'm also curious why you would want to filter waste water. Seems to
me, it would be like wanting to filter toilet water. Sewers are
there for a purpose.

It cuts down on plugged drains significantly.

Significantly? I'm 60. I've been draining unfiltered lint into my
drains for about 40 years. I've had one clogged drain. [that one
was caused by trying to use a garbage disposal for some fibrous melon
rinds.]

If your machine dumps into a utility sink I can see how a filter might
help keep that trap clean. If it dumps into a standpipe, there is
plenty of water pressure to keep *that* trap clean.

You have nice smooth pipes. Not everyone is so lucky. I have to clean the pipe
from that drain significantle less often if a filter is installed.