Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Considering Used Tools

I would expect the auction site listing to include whether or not the
tools have single or 3 phase motors and some semblance of the working
condition of the tools. As best I can tell, they are all single
phase, but I can't be absolutely sure. If the auction site is well
known, I would expect the bidding on the table saw to reach at least
$600. $300 is wishful thinking. Even at $600 to $800, I think the
deal would be reasonable, if the motor is single phase. I wouldn't
bid more than half the price of a new saw.

Though there may seem to be a discrepancy with the front rail
alignment to the table top, that may be a product of the picture. The
rail, itself, looks straight. If it is bent, it is bent at the
location of the fence and it is hard to imagine how the rail would
become bent at that location.

I would expect the jointer to go for about $600, as well. My bidding
guesstimates are based on my online auction bidding and observations
experience for similar tools.

I wouldn't expect that shop to have updated tools and still have a
1950s vintage drill press. That drill press is much more recent than
1950.

Those are nice tools. It takes a hell of a lot of abuse to damage
those quality of tools. I suspect they run and run well. I would
suspect they are in good shape. If there is some "damage", it is
likely to be minor.

Sonny