Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Cutting angle iron with an angle grinder

On 5 June, 07:56, harry wrote:
On 4 June, 21:23, Richard wrote:

Today I bought an inexpensive Draper angle grinder. I'm not sure if
there is a correct direction of rotation for cutting.

Looking at a picture on the box, which shows the cutting of a metal
bar/beam of some sort, it looks like the wheel is rotating, as it were,
(at the edge furthest from the operator)from bottom of the work towards
the top, rather than from the top downwards towards the bottom. In other
words, if looking from a vantage point on the operators left side, the
wheel seems to be moving in a clockwise direction.

The guard is pretty much in a horizontal position and the sparks are
coming out the edge of the wheel nearest the operator and pointing down
towards the floor.

Is there a right and wrong direction of rotation for cutting the angle
iron or, in general, a metal bar? TIA.

Just get on with it. *And wear goggles.

And please make sure that the flow of sparks do not contact anything
flammable - the spark flow is very hot and can ignite clothing, etc.
quite easily. My father missed this point and set fire to himself.