Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Encoders? Karl?

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c093eef$0
:

I think the issue is encoder "lines" vs. "counts". The encoders on the
machines I worked on were 2,000 line encoders, which as Karl noted

could
provide 8,000 counts per revolution. The US digital site uses counts,

so
presumably the 720 CPR encoder is 180 line?

If, in fact, that's the case, then it's a huge difference.

But still, that only gets you to roughly 11:1 better than the .02
error... and a thou in CNC work is NOT good enough!

The thing about a servo missing up to 256 counts in a full-excursion run
is nuts. My OLD R2E4 doesn't do that sort of thing. Newer, more capable
servo drivers and faster encoders couldn't possibly miss that bad.

LLoyd