Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_2_] The Medway Handyman[_2_] is offline

Default Using Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Keefiedee wrote:
I don't have the expertise to cut out the rot and replacing with new
wood myself. We have had a friendly joiner do that at the bottom of
door posts etc, but window frames would seem to me to be a lot more
fiddly, and therefore presumably a lot more expensive. I assume from
what you say that there is no way of shaping the filler before it
sets - I don't suppose something as simple as a wet finger would
help!

A plastic spreader will get it reasonably close - there should be one
supplied with the product. But it does sand very easily with a coarse
paper. Then use a finer one to get a better surface.

What car body filler do you use?

The one my local car paint supplier has on offer - there's not much
between them for this sort of use. But only worth doing if you need
fairly large quantities like say would fill a 5 litre tin. You could
also check Ebay, or a decent local car accessory shop, not Halfords.

When you say it only lasts 5 years, what actually happens? Does it
just disintegrate and fall out? I presume that at the very least it
can't rot, but then if we keep up with proper maintenance of the
paint the wood shouldn't rot anyway. We only bought the house 3
years ago, and are discovering that this sort of maintenance was
sadly neglected for quite a while before then.

The snag is wood tends to expand and contract with the seasons
whereas the filler doesn't. So it will eventually come loose. But
certainly should last better than ordinary fillers - even those said
to be suitable for outside use.

Maybe thats the difference between 2 part wood filler & car body filler?