Posted to uk.d-i-y
js.b1 js.b1 is offline

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & liveon

Define self sufficiency?
Self sufficiency must be farming & must be a commercial business with
ongoing profit & loss because you need to average out to achieve
"evens" - the whole point of "The Good Life" :-)

Define what the objective really is.
I suspect a B&B in France is likely to be more viable as a "self-
sufficient lifestyle" (try farming with arthritis). Alternatively
Bulgaria probably offers very low overheads for living - no
restrictions on foreign property ownership unlike India, and I suspect
taxation is very low.

If this is "retire on 300k" that is not a problem in many countries -
your problem will be maximising return (income) on the 300k whilst
minimising risk, and that will necessitate a very global multi-asset
perspective to counter real world inflation. A bank account can be had
yielding 3% or more, but inflation is somewhat above that level and
spending all the income leaves no capital appreciation to maintain
income against inflation.

Think through very carefully, mistakes with capital can be hard to
reverse - life compounds financial liability.