Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default recycling

Hey Kevin,

RCW rules don't permit any more Cottage Cheese ads for two weeks
especially large curd! (except by spammers). I'm kidding! Maybe you
were thinking _outside the box in the greater scheme of things. Anyway,
before the advent of turned art, I remember that we turned fancy wooden
covers for jar lids to be glued into and we felt no need to apologize.
Attractive jelly jars etc. made nice kitchen containers and the larger
ones made cannister sets without all the hollowing plus we didn't have
to make threads since some of us didn't know how. That was in the days
before Fred's helpful
instructional book, "Chasing screw threads in wood".

So why not a lidded bowl? Go for it. Sure as sensible as unlidded bowls
full of holes and much more sensible than some of my failed
suggestions, but turning doesn't have to be sensible. Anyone remember
my abortive effort to make a cheap & dirty vacuum chucking system from a
vacuum cup made for lifting glass panes & mirrors? Mercifully, you
don't, but I've got the scars to prove it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter