Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & liveon

On 3 June, 20:44, wrote:
On Jun 3, 7:08*pm, Owain wrote:

On 3 June, 18:31, wrote:

Where in the UK can you buy a piece of land of around 2-3 acres with a
house on it, where you can be self-sufficient, i.e. farm the land non-
commercially for your own family's needs only (without keeping any
livestock), without breaking any regulations or requiring permission?

Scotland! And quite large chunks of Wales too.

North of Scotland - done that. Some of the Scottish islands remain on
the list, but for family reasons I'd prefer somewhere less than about
400 miles from London.

People have recommended North Devon, and parts of Wales as you say. I
haven't looked properly at Wales yet and only know bits of the country
which I've always found extremely variegated. Around Carmarthen is
favourite out of the bits I know. Other recommendations include parts
of Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, and Lincolnshire as has also been
mentioned here. I wonder whether Shropshire or Staffordshire should
also go on the list.

Michael

Look at the fens.

Some of the best land in the UK for arable crop yields - and remote
parts are still relatively inexpensive.

Will you have an income? How will you pay for utilities/council tax/
vehicles/FUEL/etc?