Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Noise 1920s terrace house

On May 31, 9:34*pm, jimmyjim wrote:
I just bought a 1920s end of terrace house. The party wall is doors
joining so I thought it would be very quite. The house is currently
being gutted as im doing lots of renovating and doesnt really have
much carpet or furniture in it.

I have found in the few days that i have been there that it is really
noisy ( i can here the people in the other house pee, and also put
there cup down on the kitchen worktop). This doesnt really bother me
but my girlfriend will go mad.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is because there is nothing left in
the house or should there be that much noise?

As i said i am currently renovating the house so can do work if it
will get rid of the noise, but also dont want to loose too much space
adding plasterboard ect.

I would be grateful for any ideas.

I'd see if I could afford lead sheathing rather than the first
plasterboard layer. G around the joints in the wood and the bricks
with a lot of resin glue fired from a mastic gun. Wet the wall first.
The damp has a positive effect on the reaction. It is an acrylic
similar to that used on skate boards if you want to look it up.

Lead or some dense sheathing is expensive but you only need it at the
toilet and other noisy parts of the wall. It has amazing sound brrier
properties unavailable to rock-wool or -sheet. If you can find
something simialt steel sheet or somesuch, that might help but nothing
matches lead for some frequencies. You will still need as much space
as possible for the studwork and plasterboard with a layer of wool
between.

You'll get away with 3 x 3 and if you lay everything on thick membrane
to seal it that will be an asset too. Fit the lead to the stud work
and pop it in place. You might want to leave the rest of the waal
where you scrimped on lead, unplastered so you can take the wall down
some time in the future to apply more lead.

It's all very expensive and the reason terraced houses are so much
cheaper than almost anything else on the market. It is a matter of buy
cheap spend dear.