Posted to rec.woodworking
Jesse Jesse is offline

Default Question about decks and Kreg Jig kit...

The Kreg Deck Jig is used to secure both sides of the board. The Jig
appears to have a built in spacer for spacing the decking 1/4" from the
adjacent board.And the jig is available at Lowes. Not sure how well it
will work as i have no experience building decks.But if I ever give it a
shot will give a review .

On 06/03/2010 11:43 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
I was wondering about fastening deck boards as demonstrated by this
jig.

Disclaimer: Just an opinion

This looks like a solution in search of a problem driven by the need
to grow the business. Looks like a miss rather than a hit, such as
their first great idea of bringing pocket holes to the masses. Lots of
great products are followed up by derivitves that don't deliver near
the same value.

Problems?
1. Yes, I would also assume a one sided attachment is not a good
thing. The first basic but glaring deal breaker flaw.

2. If you read the text, first drill a pilot hole, then place the jig,
then use the special screws and special driver so screw can be driven
through drill bushing. Plus plastic deck spacers. Lots of special
things to keep track of, lots of steps for somewhat less than optimal
result.

3. Yeah, side placed hole is hidden but no better than top down hole
in terms of water intrusion.

4. Competing against top down screwing and 100 different bottom and
side attach brackets.

"Maybe" they can make enough from the hobbiest market but seems like a
real market miss in terms of a good distribution channel. It needs to
be in home depot not Woodcraft and not so many folks buy $100
specialized tools for the one deck job they do per 20 years in home
depot.