Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default K & T wiring

wrote:
I have friends wqho attempted to sell homes with K&T no buyers could
get a new homeowners policy. one person never did sell.

How did the others sell? Some companies won't insure with K&T, but if
no buyers could get policies, perhaps inspectors had found specific
problems. For example, K&T rated for 15 amps might be connected to a
circuit protected by a 20-amp breaker. Some K&T wiring has the neutral
side switched. Some may have splices in walls.

my best friend found he could get a big savings by combining
homeowners with car insurance.

State Farm refused to sell him a policy. Not only over K&T but his
highly detoriated and patched front steps. the steps are different
heights thanks to the patching.

Steps that are not equal are dangerous.

Last year I got a refusal-to-renew notice because an inspector had swung
buy and seen peeling paint on the fascia board of a 10x12 open shed, a
crack (60 years old) in the wall of my cement garage, and lifting
shingles.

My agent immediately found me cheaper coverage from a company with
higher ratings.

The five missing shingle tabs had disappeared on a day of 60-mph
sustained winds. I had assumed this meant I'd have to reroof soon. I
discovered that the roofing was still pretty good. The broken shingles
were easy to replace.

hey its your money and your hassle when you cant get a buyer. so enjoy
your K&T.

incidently several years ago my buddy with K&T smeled something hot,
and found a connection frying in the cieling.

Was disaster imminent? K&T uses air to prevent shorts and dissipate
heat in the event of a hot connection.