Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 40Gb Western Digital hard drive

mike wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

A server is designed to run 24/7, and should have at least two power
supplies. They generally have three or more hard drives for a small
RAID array. They are better built than a consumer grade computer. You
can use them as a regular computer, but it my not have a high resolution
video card. A consumer type OS may not support multiple processors.

Huh, I had a feeling there was a reason I wouldn't be able to do
anything with it when I bought it.
Thanks for the info.

Doesn't it have at least one empty slot where you can install a
better video card? You can use multiple drives without installing a
RAID driver. Don't pitch it out, if it works. Play with it. Install a
version of Linux or use it for a test bed computer. You can remove the
rack mount brackets on a lot of server cases and use them as a big
desktop computer, or you can use some scrap lumber an made a crude rack
for it. Hand it under your computer desk if it is a one or two unit
size. Be creative. If all else fails, sell it on Ebay or Craigslist.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.