Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Slitting on a mill

Slitting is not difficult, but like all cutting operations, the number one problem is always chip clearance. In that respect,
slitting saws have no kerf in the teeth, so chip clearance is critical. I use compressed air. If coolant is used, it must be a
high volume flood. Full cut or small passes is the same for me.
Steve

"Gerry" wrote in message ...
I need to slit a piece of mild steel 0.500" thick and 0.875 deep to a
0.652 hole. This will be a clamp to attach to a motor shaft. Never
used a slitting saw before, therefore I am asking for any advice.
Using a drill/mill with a 3X1/16X1 30 tooth saw. Thanks in advance