Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default A/C Compressor problem

On Jun 1, 7:56*am, wrote:
I have a 5 year old Trane XL14i - 3 ton I think. *Yesterday I noticed
it getting warm and the blower was running, but the compressor and fan
were off. *The contactor was engaged and power was getting to the
unit.

I turned everything off for about 10 minutes and then back on. *Its
been working fine for 24 hrs. and register temps are right where I
expect - 62F at 110F evap temp and 90F outside temp. *I'm wondering if
this is a fluke or if I have a more serious problem. *What can I
check?

A few years ago my outside unit fan wouldnt kick on first try, I think
the unit was making some noise, I powered off and on a few times and
the fan came on, the tech came out and tested and replaced the
capacitor and said if I had left it for a long time trying to start I
could have burnt out the unit, its been fine for 6 years since, find
what is wrong before it leads to a bigger issue, maybe its the
capacitor