Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Slitting on a mill

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Gerry" wrote in message
On Jun 1, 8:06 pm, "Buerste" wrote:
"Gerry" wrote in message

I need to slit a piece of mild steel 0.500" thick and 0.875 deep to a
0.652 hole. This will be a clamp to attach to a motor shaft. Never
used a slitting saw before, therefore I am asking for any advice.
Using a drill/mill with a 3X1/16X1 30 tooth saw. Thanks in advance

I hate slitting saws! Slow feed, robust rigid set-up, flood coolant,
silent
prayers! Can you use a hacksaw or a Sawsall?

I cannot cut straight with either. Hoping to get a cut better than I
could do with a hacksaw

Does in need to be straight?

With your equipment, Buerste has the best advice. With a bit of ingenuity,
you can make saw guides out of shim stock and scrap rectangles. I frequently
make clamping bushings this way.

Karl