Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_3_] Robert Allison[_3_] is offline

Default Pinhole leaks in attic pipe -- diagnosis and replacement questions

Andrew Barss wrote:
I had a flood, due to a leaking pipe in my attic crawlspace (brick house,
built 1943, Tucson AZ, pipe likely put in during 1970 kitchen remodel).

The leak was apparently due to corrosion the plumber attributed to
a mixture someplace in the system of galvanized steel (what leaked) and
copper. I'm trying to decide whether to repipe the whole house, which is
going to be expensive and a pain, or not. My gut tells me to do it, but
thought I'd ask anyone who knows more about plumbing than I do, especially
in this sort of house, for advice on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Having been a Preferred Contractor for several insurance companies, I
will point out this little bit of info, then you can make up your mind
fully armed with all the data that you need;

When dealing with leaking water pipes, hoses, supply lines, etc. in
homes with some age, the insurance companies will pay for all damage to
the home caused by the leak, but not the leak itself. That is
considered "maintenance". In addition, now that the homeowner knows
that there are problems with his aging plumbing system, if a second leak
and flood should occur, the insurance company will not pay, since the
homeowner did not take adequate steps to perform the necessary
maintenance on his home (ie. replace the failing plumbing).

Robert Allison