Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message
1. If having GFCI at the outlet and at the C'Breaker is redundant,

No, a panel GFCI and an outlet GFCI are redundant. You need *one* GFCI
per circuit, extras won't help. You need *one* breaker per circuit.
Breakers and GFCIs serve two different purposes.

Yes. By panel GFCI, I meant a C-B with a built-in GFCI. I apologize for not
being more careful in my writing. It is nice to know that having a GFCI at
the panel suffices!

2. Consider running 30 Amps to the 240v outlets as has been suggested.
Grizzly G0690 TS is 15 Amps (240v) and Grizzly suggests that it should be
on
a 20 Amp circuilt. Does this imply it would be prudent to use a 20 Amp
fuse
near the connection to help protect the equiptment. Lew always said that
the CBs are there to protect the lines and Not the equiptment.

If you use a 30 amp breaker, you have to have everything permanent on that
circuit rated for 30 amps - wiring and outlet. That means your TS needs a
30 amp plug, although code does not require the TS to have wiring rated
for 30 amps. If you *do* put a 20 amp rated tool on a 30 amp circuit, it
would be prudent (but not required by code) to put additional protection
on that's sized for the tool.

Thank you. I had been thinking about this ever since it came up.
In my situation, I was thinking that the prudent thing to do, is to stick
with the 20 Amp
CBs, and consider installing heavier wire where I think I might like to have
it someday.
I learned "plenty" about 20, 30 and 50 amp 240v plugs and outlets a few
months ago!

3. It was suggested to run 2 120v branch circuits. Fine to run these
off
of one 14-3 cable?

I wouldn't use 14 gauge wire at all in a shop - that's limited to 15 amps,
and many of my tools need 20 amp anyway, which means 12 gauge.

As for putting two 120v outlets on a single 240v wire - check with your
local code and find out what the rules are. Most likely, you'll at least
need to use a ganged breaker to protect the branch properly.

That's what I had in mind (ganged breaker). The reference to 14-3 was a
momentary slip-up on my part.
As I see it, and as someone else surely brought to my attention, is that the
problem with such
a circuit configuration is that it can be half-live and half-dead.
Potentially confusing!

Thank you for your help!
Bill