Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Doug Miller, Thank you for your reply. It is very informative and helpful!

4. Any problem with ripping down all of the drywall around the main panel
for a while so I can "see everything"?

Yes: you create a lot of unnecessary drywall repair work for yourself.

Well, the drywall there is probably almost 40 years old and on it's second
main panel.
As long as I am replacing 3/4 of the drywall on 2 walls, maybe 3 before I'm
finished, I may
as well make the drywall near the main panel look Nice! : )

If the feed to the subpanel is coming from lugs in the main panel, then
yes,
you need to power off the main. If it's coming from a circuit breaker in
the
main panel -- which is a much better idea -- then there's really no need
power off the main as long as you don't put your fingers in places they
don't
belong. Make sure that the circuit breaker feeding the subpanel is off
before
you connect the feed to it, otherwise the shaft of your screwdriver
becomes
live, which could lead to unpleasant surprises. And let's be clear he I
am
NOT talking about the disconnect breaker in the subpanel; I'm talking
about
the breaker that you put in the main panel to connect the subpanel feed
from.

I'll tell ya Mr. Miller. There are folks here who don't believe I should be
doing anything
to any walls that have any live wires in them! I appreciate the precision
with which
you have described the operation above. It reminds me of an anecdote which
I have found humorous since I heard it:

There was a old blues singer, "Big Joe Williams" who frequented the
barrelhouses
and who I believe, besides for his music, was known for his temper,
fighting, drinking and
just being a "rough character". One day he decided he wanted to buy a gun.
His friends escorted him to an purveyor of firearms (i.e. a gun store).
They said to
the store owner, "Mr. Williams here would like to buy a gun", meanwhile
standing
behind Joe Williams emphatically shaking their heads and mouthing "No, No,
No!"

I suspect that what you wrote may have caused a similar reaction from some
readers.
Maybe they'll speak up if I am correct. : ) I doubt that I'll be adding
any CBs to
any live panels anytime soon...

Thank you again for your assistance. I'm hope to make meaningful progress
during the
next week.

Bill