Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

In article , (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Bill"
wrote:

Thank all of you for helping me to learn more about these matters!

I am surely not an expert and don't pretend to be one here. I have a couple
of follow-up questions.

1. If having GFCI at the outlet and at the C'Breaker is redundant, then how
come they now required GFCI at the outlet in bathrooms?

That's *not* required. At least not by the NEC. All the NEC requires is that
the outlets "shall have ground-fault circuit interrupter protection". It does
not specify where that protection is located.

Meant to add this, too: Although that's not required by the NEC, it could be a
requirement of your _local_ codes. Chicago, for example, has some requirements
that go waaaay beyond what the NEC demands. Something about a bad fire a while
back, I think... Don't know for sure if this is correct, but I seem to
remember hearing a few years ago that Baltimore and Philadelphia have codes
that are more restrictive than the NEC as well.