Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

All my shop-specific circuits are off a shop-specific panel, which I can
disconnect at the main panel for safety if needed.

I bought a "shop specific" panel already. I've already considered that the
lighting should be on
separate circuits. I'm glad I bought a bigger panel than I thought I needed
at the time (I bought
the 24 pole one Lew advised).

Thank all of you for helping me to learn more about these matters!

I am surely not an expert and don't pretend to be one here. I have a couple
of follow-up questions.

1. If having GFCI at the outlet and at the C'Breaker is redundant, then how
come they now required GFCI at the outlet in bathrooms? Someone, I think a
maintenance person, explained to me that having it at the outlet is more
effective because it is closer to the source--and trips significantly
faster/easier. Is this nonsense?

2. Consider running 30 Amps to the 240v outlets as has been suggested. A
Grizzly G0690 TS is 15 Amps (240v) and Grizzly suggests that it should be on
a 20 Amp circuilt. Does this imply it would be prudent to use a 20 Amp fuse
near the connection to help protect the equiptment. Lew always said that
the CBs are there to protect the lines and Not the equiptment.

3. It was suggested to run 2 120v branch circuits. Fine to run these off
of one 14-3 cable?

4. Any problem with ripping down all of the drywall around the main panel
for a while so I can "see everything"? I'm intending to install the
subpanel adjacent to the main panel. I will of course turn off the
main-breaker in the main panel before I do anything and I will keep in mind
that the lines going into the main panel are still live.

I think that the "worst" part of this whole operation may be drilling
vertically up into the attic where there are already so many wires coming
out of the main panel--and it's neer impossible to view from the attic
because it is so close to the eave. I suspect I'll be "fishing" with a
coathanger, stapling 8 feet along the attic framing and then going down into
the wall. I think that my own standards are higher than those who have
worked in the attic before...I've started wrapping plastic conduit around
some of the small wires passing through.

I hope I'm not the only one who has learning something from this thread.
Thanks!

Bill