Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default Slitting on a mill

On Jun 1, 6:16*pm, Gerry wrote:
On Jun 1, 8:06*pm, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message

I need to slit a piece of mild steel 0.500" thick and 0.875 deep to a
0.652 hole. This will be a clamp to attach to a motor shaft. Never
used a slitting saw before, therefore I am asking for any advice.
Using a drill/mill with a 3X1/16X1 30 tooth saw. Thanks in advance

I hate slitting saws! *Slow feed, robust rigid set-up, flood coolant, silent
prayers! *Can you use a hacksaw or a Sawsall?

I cannot cut straight with either. Hoping to get a cut better than I
could do with a hacksaw

In my limited experience, the easiest thing to do is to stick the saw.
I never use an arbor with a key, so the saw can slip if pressed really
hard. 1/16 is awfully thin and weak and easy to bugger up if pressed
too hard.

Go slowly, particularly at first, and cut a slight amount across where
you want a slit. You need something to guide the saw as it cuts more,
and the first one or two cuts will provide the guidance. Then you can
cut a little more agressive. As said, use lots of coolant and keep the
teeth cleaned out with a chip brush.

Paul