Posted to free.uk.diy.home,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Freezer question, your experience.

In article , spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:20=A0am, "john hamilton" wrote:
We need to buy a freezer. The *chest* type is what we want with the lid o=

the top.

'Which' magazine recommends the Miele GT263 and for a hundred pounds less
the Zanussi ZFC 321 which comes in at =A3260.

The Miela has this feature which is suppose to expel the air inside, afte=

the lid is closed. With less air trapped the theory is that it will not n=

eed
defrosting as often as normal.

Let's look at some general issues. Does this solution target a problem
that you will have?

Allowing moist air to enter the freezer will allow frost to build up,
increasing the need to defrost.

Will you be opening the lid of the freezer frequently?

Once open, will you have the freezer lid open for long periods of
time?

How humid is the room in which the freezer will be kept? Cellars tend
to be humid. Warm summer air can hold more moisture than cold winter
air. Opening the lid in a humid cellar in the summertime will increase
the need to defrost.

Modern fridge and freezer seals are quite air-tight. Do you have cold
air leaking from your current fridge? Probably not.

We had little problem with one opened little.

A tip I learn from the lab. Get flat sheeting to put under the
lid, so air does not get whirled when you quickly open it up.
Just slide the separate sections out of the way for access. Given a 6 foot
freezer, you can make 2-4 sections. This can also be insulation
foam sheeting. 1/2 inch. You should get very little infiltration.

greg