Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C Compressor problem

On Jun 1, 8:58*am, wrote:
Yes, I checked power with a meter, but it was only incoming power and
not outgoing from the contactor. *The contactor was engaged and
humming, so I assumed it was the cap, but then the fan would have been
on. *I just droppd the ball there.

As a precaution, I'll clean the contacts. *I'll be sure to post again
if it stops again.

Thanks all.

I agree that's the most likely. *If you were able to tell it had power
was that with a meter? *Next time it happens check the other side of
the contactor for 240vac. *While most techs will replace a contactor
because they don't want a return call, it is possible to repair them.
Usually it is pitted and worn contacts. *You can clean them up with a
small file.- Hide quoted text -

Please turn off the power before you operate on the contacts.