Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Backhoe rates

"Tony" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:29:32 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

What does a backhoe and operator run an hour where you live?

Idiotic answers snipped.

If you are just stupid, and don't know the answer, the best thing is to
post nothing at all. At least that way, you may still appear
knowledgeable. But by posting drivel, you remove all doubt.

A backhoe and operator in my neighborhood goes for fifty to one hundred
dollars an hour, depending on the size of the backhoe, and the length of
the job. I was just curious as to what the prices were in other places.

Steve

I had a medium sized excavator here and for 8 hours work he charged me
around $900. He gave me a big break for unexpected time digging out 2
stumps. I told him there was fill over the one stump but I didn't know
how deep it was buried, it was done before I moved here. He told me he
was the one who did the last job and didn't think the tree was buried very
deep. Turns out he dug over 6' before finding the roots then had to go
another 6' to get it out. He didn't have to give me such a break but it
was nice of him. I ended up having him deliver almost 200 ton of fill
because I'm on a mountain and I wanted a little more flat land around the
garage. The fill was free, delivery was $125 for each of 9 loads. He
wasn't making much on the delivery either, climbing up the mountain with
22 ton of fill. He's making money on the land he bought. It was
practically worthless, a very steep grade right off the highway. To much
for a driveway and a building. Now it's almost flat and becoming a prime
commercial property.

A couple times I rented a small underpowered 4 wheel drive Kubota
backhoe/loader. I think it's the smallest one they make. Around $120 for
8 hours on the meter and have it returned clean within 24 hours. I towed
it on their trailer. The thing is a piece of crap and between being short
on power the bucket is so small it takes forever to get anything done. I
believe the next size or so up is more like a "real" Kubota.

Thank you for the intelligent knowledgeable experienced based answer.

Steve