Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field[_2_] ian field[_2_] is offline

Default Lead free solder

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
ian field wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:50:32 +0100, Arfa Daily
wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
On May 26, 8:24 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 26 May 2010 08:47:05 -0700, Smitty Two

wrote:
In article
,
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 26 May 2010 05:25:21 -0700 (PDT), sparky

wrote:

Lead free solder was invented by the government since they knew
it
would create more jobs (taxes) as the lead free solder caused
trouble
and things were thrown out instead of being repaired.

surface mount, package pin densities, and labor costs have
guaranteed
that almost nothing is repaired beyond the board level making
solder
type
irrelevent. Even board level repairs are unlikely when the cost of
repairing an item is far higher than its replacement cost.

Leadfree solder was created not to cause electronics be discarded
instead of repaired, but *because* electronics were being
discarded
in
great numbers. Even for items that can be repaired, they
frequently
aren't repaired because anything older than about 18 months is
obsolete in the mind of the consumer.
Which is why, to stray completely off-topic, we should replace
income
tax with a national sales tax. Let the 95% of the masses who are
compulsive consumers foot the bill.

Sorry. I didn't know I was responsding to a lunatic.

Sorry too but I think that these "lunatics" make a whole lot of sense.
I am one of the 5 percent who tries not to purchase anything new today
because unfortunately "new" has become synonomous with "crap". Nobody
wants you to repair anything anymore. Either the parts are so
ridiculously expensive or they're just not available. I stocked up on
lead solder a long time ago so that I'll be able to repair all my
older reliable "hazardous" electronics well into the future, until the
government makes all repair parts unavailable or comes into my house
with a search warrant for lead based solder that is. So for the time
being, **** them and the horse their "stimulus package" rode in on.
BTW how is the US military handling this reliability problem? They
wouldn't usually care too much about a small item like lead
poisoning...

****************

The ****wits who introduced the legislation are well aware that
equipment
made with lead free solder isn't safe, so aerospace, automotive,
military
and medical are exempt.

Amen to that ...

Is there a big problem with consumers buying cheap aerospace,
automotive, military or medical electronics and filling the landfills
with them?

There are legal directives compelling that waste electronic equipment be
collected at disposal sites and processed for recovery of metals and any
other recyclable materials, so it makes no difference what specification
it
was originally built to.

I'd be more concerned by the thousands of miles of abandoned (and some
still
in use!) lead water pipes still in the ground, rain run off from lead
roofing sheets and hoorah-henries/rednecks peppering agricultural land
with
lead shot.

It's funny as I saw what looked like lead water pipes being installed in
italy in the 1980s.

That's how clever and advanced they are in europe.

Actually the Romans invented lead plumbing.