Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DTV decoder repair, capacitor gets too hot

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:12:44 +1000, Grant put finger
to keyboard and composed:

Quick check for 1000/25 and 1000/35 Panasonic caps
show ESR goes from .033 down to .025 for higher volt rating.

I just tried a thought experiment, but it failed. :-(

Let's say we have four identical capacitors, each with capacitance C,
esr R, and voltage rating V.

If we connect them as follows, we would expect the equivalent
capacitor to have a capacitance C, esr R, and voltage rating 2V.

|| ||
| || || |
| || || |
|| ||

- Franc Zabkar

that's how I read it, C and esr stay the same, and the voltage rating
could be upto 2V, assuming the C is really the same across all 4 caps.