Posted to uk.d-i-y
David J David J is offline

Default Making a Newton's Cradle

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:04:13 -0700 (PDT), Mathew Newton
wrote:

On 1 June, 17:17, Bruce wrote:

Back in the 70s, I recall using a lift that had no doors and was in
constant motion. *Cannot recall where it was but it was somewhere in
the UK. *Scary. *After one try, I took the stairs.

Ah yes.. a Paternoster.

Some years ago I went to a university open day (I'm sure it was
Sheffield) where they had one. It fascinated my mate and I - I think
we must've spent more time in the lift than looking at prospective
courses!

I do recall warning signs in every compartment saying not to remain in
the lift as it went over the top... but didn't say why. We kept
jumping out on the top floor but couldn't leave without knowing what
the danger was.... So with the foolhardiness of youth I stayed in on
the last 'go'....

I lived to tell the tale... obviously. I don't recall whether I really
find out what the problem was. What I do remember though is that the
compartment didn't flip upside down as I was otherwise braced for!

Mathew

They had one at a company I worked at in Borehamwood many years ago.
Great fun once you got your timing right... rather like getting off a
moving Routemaster. Going over the top and under the bottom was no big
deal.

The reason that the Paternoster manufacturer did not want passengers
to ride over the top was that the suspended cabins passed rather close
to each other as they turned there. Eventually there was a fatal
accident at one location, where idiots going over the top rocked the
cabin such that it clashed into another passing in the other
direction.

As there were no doors, females were rather reluctant to hop on and go
upwards, for modesty reasons!

David