Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_8_] Bruce[_8_] is offline

Default Making a Newton's Cradle

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:04:13 -0700 (PDT), Mathew Newton
wrote:

On 1 June, 17:17, Bruce wrote:

Back in the 70s, I recall using a lift that had no doors and was in
constant motion. *Cannot recall where it was but it was somewhere in
the UK. *Scary. *After one try, I took the stairs.

Ah yes.. a Paternoster.

Yes, that's what it was called. But for the life of me, I cannot
recall where it was. It was probably some University or other, they
seemed quite popular with Unis. It might even have been at Liverpool,
where I studied, but in a different department.

Some years ago I went to a university open day (I'm sure it was
Sheffield) where they had one. It fascinated my mate and I - I think
we must've spent more time in the lift than looking at prospective
courses!

I do recall warning signs in every compartment saying not to remain in
the lift as it went over the top... but didn't say why. We kept
jumping out on the top floor but couldn't leave without knowing what
the danger was.... So with the foolhardiness of youth I stayed in on
the last 'go'....

I lived to tell the tale... obviously. I don't recall whether I really
find out what the problem was. What I do remember though is that the
compartment didn't flip upside down as I was otherwise braced for!

Brave man! I'm sure they didn't want people to stay in in case the
whole thing failed and they had difficulty getting them out.