Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

In article , "Bill" wrote:
Prompted by suggestions that a shop needs convenient power, I created a
(pdf) SU view of my proposed outlet configuration (for one wall), and also a
corresponding wiring model:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Comments or suggestions welcome. In fact, all I seek is a simple nod.

Sorry, you won't get that "simple nod" from me.

Keep it simple. Rather than wiring your 120V outlets to opposite sides of the
240V circuits, keep them separate: run 120V circuits for your 120V outlets,
and 240V circuits for your 240V outlets. It's easier to wire, gives you more
flexibility in the placement of your 120V outlets, and -- most important --
doesn't limit your 240V circuits to the same 20A as your 120V circuits.

Note that you need only two-conductor cable, not three, for the 240V circuits
once you've put the 120V outlets on 120V circuits.

You should install _at least_ twice as many 120V outlets as you think you
need. I'm kicking myself for having installed only three 240V outlets in my
16x20 shop, but I do have enough 120V outlets (fourteen duplex receptacles).

I have found it particularly useful to have a ceiling-mounted 120V outlet with
a drop cord on a retractor. It worked so well in the shop that I put another
one in the garage, plugged into the other half of the duplex receptacle that
powers the garage door opener.

The air compressor could be on the same circuit as either the table saw or the
dust collector, since it's unlikely that you'd ever be using it at the same
time as either of the others.

Run a minimum of 10ga wire, maybe even 8ga, to your 240V outlets. Using 12ga
wire unnecessarily constrains you to a future of small air compressors and
table saws. If you ever upgrade to a more powerful compressor or saw, you'll
have to rewire. Easier to just put in heavier wire at the outset.

Thank you again to those of you who helped me to reach this point (of
understanding)!

Bill

BTW, I think I will feel better if I use 120v duplex outlets that are **GFCI
protected** in addition to GFCI CB's.

Why? There's no point at all in having both.