Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Making a Newton's Cradle

"TMC" wrote in message

"Matty F" wrote in message
I wish to make a large Newton's Cradle. That usually consists of five
suspended steel balls. Ideally the balls will be at least 2" in
diameter or up to 12" or 24" in diameter.
If they were steel they are likely to injure childen. So they can't be
steel. Billiard balls bounce well but are still too heavy.
Golf balls don't seem to bounce properly so they are no good, and are
too small. Soccer balls don't bounce that well either.
Polystyrene foam is too flimsy.

Any brilliant ideas? I have an idea which I will experiment with.

I may be wrong but I thought that the weight of the balls was what makes
it work

Surely light weight balls would not have the inertia to work

It will work with anything that is elastic.
Heavy steel works well as you can put in lots of energy that is absorbed
slowly by the air/sound/non elasticity giving more bounces.
Feathers would probably work in a vacuum.