Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Worktops - which type...

On 27 May, 00:29, "js.b1" wrote:
On May 25, 11:42*pm, GMM wrote:

I fitted an oak worktop two years ago, with some trepidation

How did it stand up to objects being dragged on it, standing water,
direct cutting (carrot stains), regular wipedown & surface
disinfectant sprays?

My mother's 1984 laminate has actual abrasions through the fake block
oak, and invariably has standing water until it dries. Whilst a
cutting board is obvious, laminate will tolerate "mistakes" and the
above "wet world" whereas I suspect solid wood could be a significant
mistake.

Well, it's lasted pretty well in my opinion but I don't drag a lot of
things along worktops and wouldn't cut anything directly on any
worktop made of any material. It's not uncommon for water to stand on
it however and I can see no ill effects from that and wiping down
doesn't do it any harm. Have never used a disinfectant spray on it,
but I doubt it would do any harm: the worst that would happen would
be for the Danish oil to need recoating, I should think.