Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default IC-28A transmit section carnage

David Brodbeck wrote:

For those curious how this went:

I replaced Q17 and C54.

I now have correct voltages on all four pins of the PA module in
transmit mode, but still almost no power output -- I suspect a bad PA
module, at this point. Reinforcing this is the fact that I appear to
have more signal on the input of the PA module than I have on the
output.

I think I'm going to set this one aside and just use it as a receiver;
at this point it's not worth spending much more time on, unless I run
across another IC-28A with a different problem.

Your assumption is most likely correct... I can give you an idea how
ever.. If you can remove the cover of the module, and inspect the board,
you may find a crack. You'll need a high temp soldering iron to put it
back together.. This is common with RF modules or various types.

I've done this 3 times already on different rigs and it worked. Most
of the time a crack develops, mostly from abuse. Other times, you have
a bad module..