Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default How to remove a very stubborn and high risk socket head cap screw

On 2010-05-31, Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:19:44 -0500, Ignoramus26677
wrote:

Bolts removed. Head taken off the mill with only a slight mishap.

And that mishap was....?

the head was dropped.

but it does not look like anything broke, it fell whe it was half
rested on a pallet, and i slopwed down its fall.

it disengaged from the forklift forks

** Sent from my Google phone ** I apologize for any typos **

VBG

Gunner

On 2010-05-31, Uffe wrote:

id skrev i en meddelelse

John, I think that I will get the bolts, I hope that they did not
locktite them, it is a scary thought. I have two options, one is that
pipe with a welded on bolt, and another is a breaker bar. I have a big
case of allen wrenches, maybe 40 lbs, so I have a lifetime supply of
any inch size I want.

Heating to 300 F or 150 C will normally loosen the Loctite.

On every bridgeport head that I have seen there is a tapped hole for an
eyebolt designed for lifting off the head. Also if you use a chain to
lift put a slab of wood between the chain and the forklift tong. It
will keep the chain from slipping. Glad you didn't get hurt when it
dropped.

John