Steve Turner

Default New bandsaw saga Part III (long)

Bruce,

Excellent review! I have the same saw, and I too completely disassembled mine
when I first took delivery. Since not everybody does that, I sorta felt a
built guilty for not writing up a comprehensive review as you did, but you did
a WAY better job than I could have ever done.

Bruce wrote:

snip

.... Next came the big
test, resaw a 6 foot long 10" x 1" oak plank into two 1/2"
pieces. This was difficult! Basically I could only cut about
6" per minute. I also ended up turning the blade thrust
guides blue in the process. Way too much work was involved pushing this board
through! It almost seemed the blade was dull, but it still felt sharp to my
fingers. Maybe I need a different tooth profile. Išll wait for the "freebee"
1"
blade to arrive to compare, but my initial impression of the
Timberwolf blades is not very good. The Yahoo MiniMax mailing
list also tends to confirm that Timberwolf blades are not
that great. The saw never bogged down however, plenty of
power! At least with the blades I have a lot of choices for vendors so I am
not discouraged. The saw did fine. My only gripe was with the blade thrust
guide.

I've purchased quite a few blades for my saw, and most go unused. I have
several Timberwolf blades, and I've not been impressed. 95% of the time I use
only one blade: The "Woodslicer" from Highland Hardware. BUY ONE, you
absolutely will not regret it. My only complaint is that they don't make any
sizes other than 1/2 inch.

snip
... It will serve me for years! After doing all this
tuning and cleaning, I will really be able to qualify the Jet and Laguna 16˛
saws when I get a chance to see them up close.

You will snicker every time you do.

--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.