Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28053 Ignoramus28053 is offline

Default How to remove a very stubborn and high risk socket head cap screw

On 2010-05-30, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus6711 wrote:

Any comments?

It has been 6 hours. Did you try anything that was suggested?

No, I cannot get to the mill until tomorrow. Tomorrow may be the "big
day" when I put the mill on trailer.

Worse comes to worse, you can drill a shcs out. Since my employer
uses a lot of carbide twist drills, I put an edge on one from the
carbide scrap bucket and use that with a hand drill. I often break
them or chip them, but I just grab another and keep going.

Once the head is off, the remaining portion tends to be finger tight.

Wes, I hope that I just get it with the proper tool. I have a breaker
bar with a 3/8" socket and a piece of a 3/8" allen key to fit the
socket and the bolt. I think that it should work.