Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 phase

Robert Swinney wrote:

Someone wrote:

"Wrong kind of tube. You need a Krytron, which is a controlled
device. You are not allowed to export them. They were made by EG&G A
Thyratron is much too slow to do the job."

Krytron (sp) ?

Are you sure we're not talking about "Klystrons" ? In the early days of Radar, klystrons were used
as LOs in radar sets. As I understand it, the power capability of klystrons has grown to the
extent they have pretty much replaced the magnetron in modern Radar.

EG&G, among other things, was the instrumentation contractor at the Mercury, NV underground testing
facility.

Ask on news:sci.electronics.design if you don't believe me. A
Krytron is an ultra fast electronic switch that allows a very high
current to be switched. It is used as a trigger. There isn't a lot of
published data, since it was designed for a specific use.

A Klystron is used as an oscillator or amplifier.

I've worked with 65 KW Klystrons. Big, heavy and use lots of
distilled water in the cooling systems.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.